Skip to main content

First Week Of Semester 2: First Result

After such a long time abandoning my blog, I finally have the urge to write something.

Last week, I finally got to see my result for my first semester. It turned out really good: I got 3.75. I am happy, but not as happy as I thought I would be. After all, there are still students out there who get better results than me, and I feel like I truly can achieve 4.00 now that my first result is excellent. I don't know if I can achieve better results by the next semesters or if they will be as easy as the first semester, so it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Nevertheless, it is in proportion to my effort, so I am thankful. No, the ratio of my effort to my result is too big actually. I didn't put as much effort as other students (especially for Calculus and C++, thanks to my previous experiences taking the class), so there's no reason I shouldn't be thankful. Helping my friends in study group definitely played a big part in getting the good result.


This first result is very important to me, more than any upcoming results. The importance lies in the word "first". Yes, "first". After my horrible and shameful results back in the States, this is the "first" proof to show to my parents, my family, my sponsor, and my friends who knew that I withdrew from University that I am serious in taking my second chance. Actually it is not second, but let's not go to that for now. Anyway, this "first" proof plays a big part in convincing everyone that I'm not here just for the sake of just getting a degree.  The most important thing is I want to show them that I can still achieve good results by still being who I am, without abandoning what I like and what define me as myself (especially me as a gamer :3 ). That's why, I still want to improve myself, and see where did the 0.25 went.

I know what went wrong for the subjects that I didn't get A, so that will be my guide for what not to repeat. There's one definite thing that I need to improve starting this sem, and that is to revise what I have learned as soon as possible. The problem with me (and I'm pretty sure most of the students) is that I like to cramp everything on the last days and expect that I can understand/memorize every single thing to prepare for the exams. The method might work well, but the risk is too high. Therefore, I want to reduce the load on the final days and spread it even for the whole semester, so that I can have more time understand everything, and also to teach and guide my friends through the subjects or topics that they have difficulties with during the last days. Library should be the place where I most spend time after my own room. It's better than wasting my time in my room doing nothing, which is pretty much what I did the most in last semester especially at night.

To my friends who get good result, just keep it up and make sure you can maintain it for the semesters to come.

To my friends who didn't get a good result, don't ever forget what you get. Don't try to run from it, don't ever hide your feelings, and don't ever try to deny it. Look at your result, and look at it real hard. Do you deserve to get that result? Did you work hard enough that you think you deserve to get better? Now, only you know your efforts, and only you know whether you worked hard enough or not. No, I'm talking about during study week and after: what did you do during class? Did you sleep more than you were awake? Did you tweet more than you write notes? Did you talk more than you listen? Every single thing that you do during class sessions is an effort. So, do the collective efforts from the first day of class until the seconds you sit in the exam hall is enough? Don't deny what you did and you didn't: learn to accept your mistakes and admit it. You don't want to get the same pathetic result of worse anymore, aren't you?

What I just wrote is harsh, I know. But that is only because I experienced them too. Back in the States, I only got 1.00 for my semester, and 0.75 for my last semester there. See? Nothing to be proud of. My mistake starts with denying what I did wrong and I didn't do right. The more I deny it, the more I didn't want to correct my mistakes. Back then, I still thought I could get good results even if I don't study much. I was wrong. So wrong. But now that I admit my past mistakes, it becomes easier for me to see what I must do.

Anyway, don't be sad with your not-so-good result. There's always next time, and everyone can achieve the impossible if they work for it. I believe that my friends wouldn't believe that I got 3.75 now, especially the ones who know I got 1.00 back then.

I'm targeting to get 4.00 for this semester, helping my friends to get better results too, and doing something awesome that I can't think of now (just like how I entered programming contest in last semester). What do you want yourself to be for this semester?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Debate About Love and Commitment

A week after thanksgiving, we had a group discussion about Islam. To make it short, suddenly it become a debate of my commitments toward someone. Yes, it is about love. These are the questions, and my answer: If you guys love each other, why don't you just be in relationship? If we are in love, doesn't mean we MUST be in love. Being in relationship doesn't give any assurance that you are going to get married to each other. Most of my friends that are in relationship often ended up in failure, though a few (like one out of 50) still manage to maintain for 3-4 years. If you are ready to be in relationship, then you must be ready to get married. You give your commitment, attention and time for your partner, isn't it the same as married couple?* I never say being is relationship is wrong, but people who in relationship is the trouble. We always want the good thing (getting attention, sharing our love, etc) but always avoid the hard part (our responsibilities, commitment, et

Post Bukan Untuk Semua Orang, Tapi Ada 4 Orang Patut Terasa

Edited total 7 times by 2/6/2010 1906 Post ini telah diedit disebabkan aku tuan blog (tak menjawab soalan). Post yang asal telah di-save di dalam laptop aku, so anggap la yang tak membace tu...kurang bertuah 1) Jangan aa merajuk 2) Ko pun ...ah malas aa nak cakap 3) Semoga berbahagia 4) Lepas nie kita kena lebih mengekspresi kan perasaan kita dengan cara yang lebih sihat. Terima kasih sebab sanggup turun datang jumpa aku dulu untuk menerangkan everything :) Aku bukannya hendak merendahkan mana2 pihak, tapi mungkin method aku agak extreme. Minta maaf kepada semua pihak yang terlibat.