Skip to main content

Getting Away From Social Media

It was the day of festival, where Muslims all over the world celebrates Eid al-Adha. As usual, most people go back to their parents or grandparents house to celebrate it with their family. On Instagram, everyone was posting their best pictures on that day, showing how happy they are with their family, the delicious foods that they ate, or  how beautiful their hometown is.

Those posts made me really unhappy.

I don't have any trouble of others being happy. In fact, I believe no one should be overly sad or to suffer from anything bad. The problem lies when I start to compare myself with them. Why am I so unhappy on this day? How can they smile so radiantly while I am here feeling miserable with myself? I can also post some pictures and try to smile as genuinely as I can, but I know deep down inside, I will be mostly faking it.

Being in this world nowadays where there are too much information to absorb (or being shoved to your face), the information that 'everyone is happy with their life' makes me think a lot about myself. Why do I keep scrolling the pages? Why do I need to post something on social media? Is it for the attention? It is for the likes? Is it making me feel better? Or is it making me feel worse?

So I deleted all of my social media app on my phone (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), just to see whether I will be feeling better or not. After 4 days, I believe I am getting better with my mood. Not everything is suddenly alright (I still have my research paper that I need to write), but I am feeling better with knowing less. The only temptation left is the stories in Whatsapp; I wish I can turn that off. For now, I just deliberately avoiding myself from checking them out.

I don't know for how long I will be taking my time off social media, but for now it feels good to get away from the hell of knowing too much about what others are doing. Perhaps I will stick with blogging, like good old times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Debate About Love and Commitment

A week after thanksgiving, we had a group discussion about Islam. To make it short, suddenly it become a debate of my commitments toward someone. Yes, it is about love. These are the questions, and my answer: If you guys love each other, why don't you just be in relationship? If we are in love, doesn't mean we MUST be in love. Being in relationship doesn't give any assurance that you are going to get married to each other. Most of my friends that are in relationship often ended up in failure, though a few (like one out of 50) still manage to maintain for 3-4 years. If you are ready to be in relationship, then you must be ready to get married. You give your commitment, attention and time for your partner, isn't it the same as married couple?* I never say being is relationship is wrong, but people who in relationship is the trouble. We always want the good thing (getting attention, sharing our love, etc) but always avoid the hard part (our responsibilities, commitment, et

Post Bukan Untuk Semua Orang, Tapi Ada 4 Orang Patut Terasa

Edited total 7 times by 2/6/2010 1906 Post ini telah diedit disebabkan aku tuan blog (tak menjawab soalan). Post yang asal telah di-save di dalam laptop aku, so anggap la yang tak membace tu...kurang bertuah 1) Jangan aa merajuk 2) Ko pun ...ah malas aa nak cakap 3) Semoga berbahagia 4) Lepas nie kita kena lebih mengekspresi kan perasaan kita dengan cara yang lebih sihat. Terima kasih sebab sanggup turun datang jumpa aku dulu untuk menerangkan everything :) Aku bukannya hendak merendahkan mana2 pihak, tapi mungkin method aku agak extreme. Minta maaf kepada semua pihak yang terlibat.