Skip to main content

Proving Our Love

"saya minat matematik sebab ayah saya ajar"
"saya start minat matematik masa darjah lima, bila saya dah start faham apa yang cikgu ajar pastu rasa macam tak susah pun matematik ni!"
"saya start minat matematik masa form one, sebab saya selalu dapat score tinggi"
"saya cemburu dengan cousin saya dia asyik cakap dia dapat 98 dalam matematik masa darjah lima dulu, sebab tu saya belajar matematik pastu jadi minat"

This is what they told me when they introduced themselves. Kids are so pure-hearted, can easily love things that they do even for the smallest reasons. As long as they believe they can do it, they will continue to love it.
  
Now, I want to relate this with my experiences. Not really mine, but those around me. I asked a few of my friends, why did they choose this course (Math, Stats, or Actuary). I believe I got around 7 out of 10 saying that "because I like Mathematics and numbers". 

When we have an interest in a certain subject, it is easy for us to choose the course that we want. But real life sure is unforgiving. Just because we like it, doesn't mean it will be any easier. Many of those who said that they like Math didn't really score in their Math-related subjects. I can think of some reasons, but I'm sure one of them is because it is easy to get disappointed when we couldn't achieve a certain level of expectation, especially because we "like" it. 
 
Just like when we say we love someone, but that person doesn't give back to us the equivalent of our love. It is easy to love as it is to hate or get disappointed. Then again, what's the point of saying we love someone but we never prove it by actions? How can we expect that that person will give the same when we never prove our love?

My point is, it is easy for us to forget that no matter how much we say we like something, it would be meaningless if we don't prove it. We can say we love Math. But when we have to repeat a Math subject, what does that says about us?  

Of course, this doesn't only applies to Math. Just being specific because it is easy for me to relate.

When we say we like/love something, we will have tests or ordeals that will challenge that. That is when we will need to prove how much we are willing to go for something that we like, and how high is the level of our passion. Don't give up when you are being challenged about the things that you like, that is just the way it is. 

On a related note, Allah even said this in the al-Quran, concerning our Iman:

"Do people think that they will be left alone because they said "We believe", and will not be tested?" (Al-Ankabut, 2)


Wallahualam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Not Going Back To United States

Just after the day I arrived, I got caught up in an accident. Now, just another week before going back to USA, I received a bad news. MARA told me that they had terminated my sponsorship. Yes, this is not a hoax. I received the letter two days ago, and now I decided to give a full story to you readers.

A House

One day I walk around I found a house It looks dull and I entered it -------- It is quite empty right now There are a lot of things But there are no people I think it's owner doesn't get along well with people in the houses around -------- There is a small box inside that house It is strong, because it never break even when it is being hit But somehow, it started to has cracks Hope I can fix it -------- I found a water tank There is always water inside it It looks like it had been used recently Sometimes, the water burst out just like that -------- There is also a speaker inside the house It only works when the user tell the truth It also has cracks Maybe some people throw it away because it only tell the truth? -------- A computer? It looks really nice It has been used for a lot of times It seems like it is the most precious thing inside the house Why did it go to waste? It shouldn't be left in a house like this -------- Owh There is a cat in the house It is very cute and ...

Less Than A Month Left Berore Departure

If you had seen through all my post before, you will realized that seldom, if not, very little, I talked about going overseas I...never felt excited about going overseas It's only a coincidence that I received this scholarship to go to USA If I didn't get the scholarship, then I'm happy enough to study in our country Looking back, I never ever thought about my future for the long term I don't really care about it; as long as I continue living, I'll be delighted Did I really wanted to choose actuarial science? Yes, but only because my teacher recommended it and it is the only course that are listed in MARA's website that had something to do with Mathematics (besides engineering) I'm willingly enter the path that had in front of me, I don't give a damn about searching other hidden roads that may lead to better destination Yeah, that's me alright I remember in a talk about mind set, I learn that if we want to succeed, we need to have a vision...